Transferring to the UW

You're a Husky Now

Success at the UW comes from active engagement in and out of the classroom.

Plan for Academic Success

Know your departmental resources and opportunities

Each college, department and office provides a wealth of resources. Make sure you ask your department what tutoring, advising, scholarships, research and study abroad opportunities there are available. The more you are plugged in to the UW community, the more support you will have in your academic journey.

Meet regularly with your UW academic adviser

Continue to meet with your UW academic adviser! Don't just see them when you have a problem, keep in regular contact and inform them of your goal and expectations while you are here.

Utilize free UW tutors and writing centers

UW has several tutoring and writing centers that are available to you free of charge. See the full list here.

Know if you qualify to earn your associates degree through the UW reverse transfer program

Reverse Transfer may be an option for you to receive an associate’s degree after transferring from a 2-year, lower division institution of higher education to a 4-year institution. The University of Washington Reverse Transfer program is limited to students who have transferred from a Washington Community or Technical College to the University of Washington.

Grow Your Community at the UW

Visit the Commuter and Transfer Commons (CTC)

Did you know you have your own space on campus? CTC is located in the Husky Union Building, room 141 and is a dedicated space for commuter and transfer students. Resources available include...

  • Day-use lockers
  • Kitchenette and microwave
  • Changing room and lactation station
  • Rentable laptops and phone charges
  • Printing station and MORE!

Find community at Veteran's Center, Q Center, Ethnic Cultural Center, etc

Community can be found across campus - there are established centers available to you. The Veterans Center run by Student Veteran Life is located in Husky Union Building (HUB), room 327. The Q Center is dedicated to serving anyone with or without a gender or sexuality is also located in the HUB, room 315. The Samuel E. Kelly Ethnic Cultural Center (ECC) has a wealth of resources and opportunities available to students including student advising, organizational development, personal growth, and referrals to different departments and programs.

Get Involved with a student organization (RSO)

There are many opportunities to meet people and connect your passion through a Registered Student Organizations (RSOs). Every autumn you can preview the over 900 RSOs at the Student Activities Fair at Dawg Daze.

Get involved with student government (ASUW)

The Associated Students of the University of Washington (ASUW) is the democratic voice of students that engages the campus community through programming, services and advocacy. Interested in getting involved? There are plenty of ways for that! Whether you’re an employee, volunteer, or a participant of the different events we put on, there’s a space for everyone to find something of interest.

Give Back to the Transfer Student Community

Apply to be a Transfer Ambassador

Transfer Ambassadors (TA) serve throughout the year to help other new and current transfer students. Through volunteering and engagement opportunities this position is a flexible and is a great way to give back to the UW transfer community. Volunteer and engagement opportunities include...

  • Transfer Student Panels
  • Transfer Welcome Events at Dawg Daze
  • Transfer Focus Groups
  • And MORE!

Serve as a transfer student representative on various UW boards and governance

UW departments and student organizations like ASUW host several advisory and student boards that have a transfer student representative position. These roles are reserved specifically for transfer students! Email for more information. Examples of boards and positions include...